Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Weight-Loss Debate: Addressing the Foolery

As most of you know, when I started my blog, I made a commitment for it to be fashion and ONLY fashion based. I saw many fa[t]shion blogs that addressed other issues such as; discrimination in the media, current events, etc.

Since all of those aspects were already being covered so well, I sort of wanted to step out of those realms and make my blog a place where you primarily read about fashion, tips and tricks of the trade, styling suggestions, the latest trends, "How To" guides and so on. However, sometimes an issue pops up and you feel obligated to step out of your zone and address the issue head on.

Now, I know that some of you probably don't know this, but recently I've been battling with a dreaded case of "writers' block", but recent events have sparked my literary juices and have forced me to crawl out from under my rock of unproductivity.

If you're unaware of the situation, here's a little background to help you catch up...

Yesterday, Marcy Guevara, Editor-at-Large and host of The Marcy Minute for xoxoskorch posted a video titled "Coming Clean" about her efforts to get healthier. Standing in front of a Weight Watchers storefront, Marcy dished about

  • Being "on the fence" in regards to body image and how some of us really feel about our size.
  • Her desire to shop at certain stores that don't carry her current size and getting back into her favorite pair of jeans.
  • Jennifer Hudson being her inspiration and motivation for shedding a few pounds.
  • The reasons why she chose Weight Watchers for her weight loss endeavor.
  • And the battle to maintain a healthy lifestyle as a curvy girl.
All great points, right?

Well apparently quite a few viewers became a bit "up in arms" over the video, which has lead to a weight-loss "backlash" of sorts. And it has sparked a frenzy of comments, tweets, reposts, and discussions on the matter. Now while I can understand the confusion in a "plus-sized" magazine promoting weight-loss, what I don't understand is the negative feedback in regards to the issue of health. And while xoxoskorch has ALWAYS promoted healthy body image and the importance of embracing oneself, I don't think that they have ever claimed to endorse an unhealthy lifestyle.

I mean let's face reality here for a moment. While we strive to embrace our curves, being overweight and obese leaves many of us susceptible to diseses such as Hypertension, Diabetes, Heart Failure, Arthritis, certain types of Cancer, and the list goes on! So what is the harm in trying to get healthy to sustain longevity? Or to just feel a little better in your own skin by shedding a few pounds?




I make no apologies in saying that while I love and embrace my curves, I always strive to live a healthier lifestyle and if I can drop one or two dress sizes in the process, then so be it! Now, just like Marcy said, I will NEVER be a size 6 or even an 8, but that isn't even my goal. My goal is to be a heathier me! Through my Facebook page, I have made my own personal fitness journey public knowledge. I talk about my love affair with the yoga ball and my tumultuous relationship with carbs. I even discuss my unhealthy eating relapses and when I've gained back a pound or two (or three...eek!).

Does that make me wrong or less credible in the fa[t]shion community? Am I to be deemed traitorous?
Bottom line, weight-loss is a matter of personal decision. If you are comfortable with where you are and you are healthy and feeling fantastic, then more power to you! Now while you may not agree with Marcy's personal decision to get healthy by losing weight or utilizing the powers that are Weight Watchers, the fact of the matter is that it is just that. A personal decision. One of which she decided to share with those of us who can relate to her pursuit, and was not intended as any sort of personal "dig" at anyone else or even to promote weight-loss. Let's also not forget that being healthy has absolutely NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NUMBERS ON THE SCALE OR THE SIZE ON YOUR TAG, and everything to do with your ACTIVITY and OUTLOOK.

So to Marcy I say...GO GET 'EM GIRL, YOU'VE GOT OUR SUPPORT! :)

Until Next Time F5's and Skorch dolls....
Stay D'lish

PLEASE CHECK OUT MORE OF AMOR:
CLICK HERE!

P.S. Check out the "contraversial" video below...

9 Comments:

Moe said...

The impression I got was no one had a problem with Marcy's choice to "get healthy" (you go girl). The problem was mentioning WW. A billion dollar industry giant that makes money off the fat of women who continue to lose and gain weight. They have no published success rates after four years that don't involve people who work for them. I can totally understand the rage, it came across as a WW promotional ad.

I don't think anyone would have a problem (or at least a lot less) with Marcy's post if all the WW stuff had been omitted. Even the fact that you have linked to WW THREE times in this post is suspect.

Amor said...

Moe, I am so sorry that you feel so suspect of the fact that I have linked Weight Watchers for a total of 3 times in this post, but I always provide company links in my posts (i.e. I have provided the link to xoxoskorch twice in this post as well). Please understand that I do not endorse nor am I advertising for Weight Watchers. If I were to endorse, then I would be receiving a check from them, and that has definitely not happened so....Anyway, back to the point...I don't think that Marcy mentioned WW because she was promoting them either, but rather just to state the road in which she is choosing to take her journey on. I myself have been on WW before and was unsuccessful with the program. But what's good for the goose is not always what's good for the gander and I can only respect Marcy's choice in the avenue that she's chosen and I would hope that others' would respect that choice as well.

Former Reader and Sometime Skorcher said...

The whole video seems like a big advert for Weight Watchers... so too did the ridiculous plugging of the "How not to look Fat" book.

Did Skorch or Marcy get any recompense (AT ALL- not necessarily monetary), for either of those things?

Thing is, I don't care if Marcy wants to loose weight and goes to Weight Watchers to do it - what I saw through Twitter and Facebook was more that the video was a final straw for a lot of people - in fact, I didn't get any kind of anti-health/weight-loss message in the posts I read from the anti-Skorchers. I think that Marcy's Minutes are kind of nasty though to fat and curvy women. The Do's and Don'ts video - was abhorrent and the Vegas video was arrogant and just plain rude... meanwhile, the hair-do video was blatant advertising.

You know, you mentioned somewhere (FB?) that many of Marcy's views are not shared by other members of Skorch staff, I am surprised, therefore, that the response from so many people has surprised you? I also find it really interesting how you have played this as people being anti-health and disrespecting her choice, when I, who am just a reader and viewer and therefore far more impartial than all you Skorch staff members or other internet writers (bloggers, opinionists etc.) - didn't see that at all...

I wanted to come back and read this, as a loyal reader of you mag - but the self-righteousness of this post, as well as the posts on Facebook etc. see me finally done. I can not believe you can't understand this backlash. I can't believe that you think it is to do with people being anti-health or weight loss - your writing that just seems daft and if I believed it, I would be an ass. Don't treat me or your readers like that, we aren't dumb and while I could stick around through another minute with Marcy - I am not sticking around for this.

F. Belt said...

Some people say that you shouldn’t weigh yourself more than once a week. I’ve been much happier charting my progress every day. No matter what, you need to weigh in at the same time, every time. For me, that’s 10am every morning (or somewhere thereabout). If you decide to weigh yourself every single day, understand that your weight will fluctuate by one or two pounds – and that you should only keep a serious eye on the lengthier trends.

Unknown said...

I am incredibly disappointed in you SKORCH. I wrote my post on my blog and made it abundantly clear that I am not anti-weightloss. And that it had nothing to DO with weightloss, as did all of the critics I had active dialogues with.

We had problems with Marcy shaming her own community. Her "fashion tips" during which she made fun of other plus-size women for not wearing what she deemed acceptable, her Vegas video where she further shamed plus-size women, and finally, her entire video about "how to not look fat." If people wanted this body shaming, they could subscribe to Cosmo or other fashion magazines that constantly tell plus-size women how to hide various parts of their body so they don't look fat.

How is that embracing your body and your curves and promoting a healthy body image?

If Marcy wants to lose weight and is doing it a healthy manner - then great for her! It was never about that vlog, or about WW, and if SKORCH had taken the time to discuss these things instead of immediately call us "fools" and say we are "anti-weightloss" then maybe this wouldn't have gotten out of hand.

Best,
Sarah Russell
http://www.tabayag.com

P. Hentermine said...

I think in the debate to reduce weight it all depend upon our personal decision as whether we are comfortable with current situation or not.

Caralluma said...

Studies have shown that people abandon their diet because it becomes very difficult to ignore their appetites and, eventually, feelings of hunger and deprivation,… Which Diet pills are best to chose..

P. Hentermine said...

Thing is, I don't care if Marcy wants to loose weight and goes to Weight Watchers to do it - what I saw through Twitter and Facebook was more that the video was a final straw for a lot of people - in fact, I didn't get any kind of anti-health/weight-loss message in the posts I read from the anti-Skorchers. I think that Marcy's Minutes are kind of nasty though to fat and curvy women. The Do's and Don'ts video - was abhorrent and the Vegas video was arrogant and just plain rude... meanwhile, the hair-do video was blatant advertising.

Elton said...

I'm a 40 yr old male and started taking Phentermine 4 days ago. I weighed 234 day before I started taking pill and exercising. Now, I weigh 226. I take one phentermine pill at 6am and 4pm. I've exercised three times by walking on a treadmill for 30 minutes. I have been restless at night, super dry mouth but more motivated than ever before. I love food and beer... hate exercise. Now, food doesn't even look good, I only have desire for water and I can't wait to get up early and get on the treadmill. This sounds crazy but it's absolutely true! 41 to go.

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com | Distributed by Deluxe Templates